We've introduced a new GOFAR version and sales have been quite a lot higher than expected, so we're currently out of stock of our unique flagship product the GOFAR Adapter + Ray.
New units are arriving in a few weeks though.
- The new units have similar functionality but we have upgraded to newer components wherever possible.
- We've rebuilt the bluetooth stack from scratch (we were previously using a pre-compiled module).
- Older units will still work as normal and will remain fully supported. :-)
- Alongside the hardware changes, we've made a number of other simultaneous changes such as introducing more eco-friendly packaging with 43% less packaging.
WHEN WILL I GET MY ORDER?
As of now (Sep 23rd) all hardware and firmware testing has been completed, most production (eg of the printed circuit boards) is completed but we're awaiting new packaging and we still need to assemble the units and box them and ship them from Taiwan to Australia (passing through customs).
We've done this about 6 times now so it's (reasonably) predictable and our best estimate of when we'll have units in Australia is in about 3-4 weeks (so about 14th October - 21st October). It might be a little earlier. It might be a little later.
It's then a couple of days after that to get them to homes and offices in Australia (and a week or two more to get them to other locations around the world).
WHAT'S HAPPENED SO FAR? WHAT'S NEXT?
Below are our best estimates of what's happening when.
- Completed New Printed Circuit Board design
- Completed New components selected
- Completed Prototype created and firmware updated
- Completed Prototype and firmware successfully tested
- Completed All pre-production testing is completed
- Completed FCC EMC testing has been completed and past.
- Completed First Production Run - 60 printed circuit boards printed
- Completed First Production Run - manufacturing assembly
- Completed First Production Run - Each unit individually tested
Completed - New eco-friendly packaging arrives
- Completed - New back end code working on Pre Staging server
- Completed - Desk testing and in car testing in Sydney
- Completed - PCBs for full production run ordered
Completed - update multiple test jigs to ensure we can parallel process assembly making it quicker
Completed - Release new back end cloud code set to staging in preparation for new units
Completed - Produce circuit boards for full production run (1-2 days)
- Completed - New back end code working on Staging server
- Completed - New back end code working on Pre-Production server
- To do - Test and sign off new more efficient packaging (Version 3) packaging sleeves (5 days)
- Note - If Version 3 is not up to spec then we'll simply use Version 2 - which was fine and already has passed testing. It won't delay things.
To do - Assemble full production run (5 days)
- To do - Each unit individually tested post assembly (ongoing)
To do - Package units (5 days)
To do - Shrink-wrap all units to protect them in transit (takes place off site) (usually 1-2 days)
To do - Express courier from Taipei to Sydney (usually 1-2 days)
To do - Clear Australian customs (usually 1-2 days)
To do - Express ship from Sydney warehouse to customer addresses (usually 2-5 days)
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
Feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com any time. We respond 7 days a week.
- We'll keep this question updated too. (Last updated Friday 23rd Sept)
- Anyone who purchased express shipping will be automatically refunded for that.
If you want a refund you have only to ask and we will refund immediately.
We do hope you can hold on for a few weeks though. The product is getting great reactions and we ship in order so we recommend keeping your slot in the queue.
We've put thousands of hours into our second generation product and don't compromise on testing or quality so sometimes that does take us a bit of time. We're pretty close to completing the new production run though - just packaging, assembly and then shipping and 98% of the tricky technical work is completed.
Apologies again for this inconvenient delay and Thanks for bearing with us.
Ian, Danny, Szymon, Damian, Bikash, Artur, Al, Kat, Matt, Jeremy